Friday, March 20, 2009

Emily Dickinson 2



Sing Ruby Siu
English 48B
March 20, 2009
Journal #22 Emily Dickinson

QUOTE:

“I heard a Fly buzz – when I died -/ The Stillness in the Room/ Was like the Stillness in the Air…and then/ I could not see to see” (87-88).

SUMMARY:

In this poem, Emily Dickinson wrote about a surreal imagination of death. She imagined there was a fly buzzing over her head when she died. The room she was in was silent and solemn, which matches her flat and calm tone. She also mentioned the surrounding witnesses’ reactions toward her death, and all of them seemed ready to perceive the moment to come. Then, she proclaimed her readiness to enter a new beginning – a beginning that is cut off from the reality of the world. Throughout the poem, there is an ongoing sense of stillness, which contrasts with the animated fly.

RESPONSE:

I like this poem because Dickinson depicted a very realistic and unforgettable scene. The juxtaposition of fly with death in a quiet room is a very remarkable setting because it purposefully covered up the emotional fluctuations and significance of life. Dickinson wanted to make the whole event looks trivial and common, as the death looks painless and calm. Reading from the English department of City University of New York suggests different interpretation of the role of fly. For example, the fly can be seen as a symbol of death and decay. However, I think the fly symbolizes an insignificance of life in the universe. The flying of the buzz is a very ironic object to the dying person. As the person’s dying, the person experienced the last moment of life, while there was only a fly buzzing around to signify this moment. It means dying is almost natural to the flies, as well as to the nature. The dying person also used a flat tone in addressing the environment, which shows her last realization of life that she is not important at all.

This poem casts a very intense feeling to me. Although Dickinson calmly portrayed the vision of death, the scene to me was overwhelming and terrifying. This poem reminds me of a specific dream I had. In the dream, I was experiencing the moment of death. The dream has no storyline. I can see how my breath was gradually cut off due to physical weakness, and how my ears can no longer hear what is being said, shout, or cried over me. Although the eye sight seems granted, I will be unable to see every detail of the world because my eye lids are closing. The vision is blurry but I have no strength or power to struggle anymore. The feeling of detachment is particularly strong, as I will not be part of the world anymore. The physical self in the dream experienced the prolonged moment of death, and it contrasts with my animated life when I wake up. A freaking terror pops up, once I tell myself that everyone will go through that particular moment. It is even more terrifying when I, I, have to be cut off from my existence one day. It is bizarre, strange and unacceptable when I look at myself. I dare not think about it anymore; I continue my living.

1 comment:

  1. 20/20 I guess since death comes to us all it must have been a "true" dream in at least some sense. It certainly is a true poem.

    ReplyDelete